Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Peeves

Everyone has certain things that tick them off. That just . . . BUG them. Hypocrisy bugs me. It doesn't matter if they're saved or unsaved, little kids, adults or elderly - hypocrisy bugs me.

One of the biggest evidences of hypocrisy I've noticed is "Christian swear words." Heck, dang, etc. Do you know what Heck means? Years ago, I looked it up in the dictionary because I wondered if it was one of those words (like darn) that got twisted to mean something that it wasn't intended to mean. Nope. Heck means Hell. That's all it means - that's all it's ever meant. Why - seriously! - why is it then considered less offensive? It means the same thing.

Study languages and you realize that one series of sounds (a word) means the same thing as another. It doesn't matter which word you use, so long as the person you're talking to understands. Therefore, I can say to my Spanish teacher, "?Que?" or "What?" They mean the same thing. There's no difference in the word; just in the noises used to produce the word. Danke, gracias, thanks, merci. All the same word.

Dang? Means damn. Why does it matter that it's not the same word if it has the same meaning? Connotation?? The definition is the same! That's why no one cares when people commenting on dog shows use the word "bitch." It's a female dog! That's what it means. Definition is more important than the connotation. Connotations don't change meaning.

Also, what's the point of those words? To express indignation? Most the time, when people are rightfully indignant about things, they don't even consider using those words to express it. . . Because the only thing to be rightfully upset about is sin. People don't ever say in righteous anger, "Dang it!" . . . Doesn't happen. I've paid attention to this specifically for a few years now. Those words get used when something doesn't go quite our way. Or when we forget or do something stupid. Little things that we shouldn't be getting upset about.

Anyway. Today wasn't so great, so I decided to let it out in a lecture. . . I've been considering this teaching thing more and more, and it might actually be okay. . . . I have no idea what subject I could possibly teach though. . . I'll teach my kids everything, if the Lord wills. =)

No comments: