Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sufficiency

I was lying in bed this morning for a few minutes before Evelynn woke up, enjoying the quiet, enjoying the fact that I've been getting a normal amount of sleep (coupled with a normal sleep schedule - waking up maybe once to make a bathroom run or get a drink of water instead of waking up several times). It's been amazing.

And I was thinking about what kind of advice I would give to someone who was entering motherhood. What would I tell about it? What part would I highlight? No one told me how hard it would be, so I thought that I would have to say that. But as I was thinking about that and how exhausted I've been and how my body has been drained of it's nutrients and things, something else occurred to me.

I cannot drain God. I cannot use Him up. Children can actually, literally use us up. We can be spent for their sake, physically, mentally, and emotionally. But as a child of God, I cannot use Him up. I can never take too much from Him; I can never exhaust Him. He will never snap at me. He will never make the wrong choice because He was too exhausted to think. He will never ignore me because He just can't deal with one more thing today.

There are already a lot of mistakes that I've made with Evelynn. Add another kid or two (or three or four, depending on what God gives to us) into the mix and I am beyond sure that I will be making several mistakes every day.

But it will never be too many. God is sufficient. He will never run out of love, mercy, grace, favor, loving-kindness, or joy. It will ALWAYS be there for the asking - even if I asked for and received some five seconds ago. It's overflowing from Him. I just have to go to Him for it.

Another thing I would tell a to-be mom - it's so worth it. It's beyond worth it. Children are so awesome, that despite all the havoc they make, despite all the exhaustion, despite all the hardships and pains and sorrows, they're a blessing. They're not just "worth it" - they're a blessing! Children are like Romans 8:18 here on Earth - "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." All the sufferings of the present time can't even be compared with the joy and the glory that is bound up in your kids.

No comments: