Saturday, September 22, 2012

Ants

Last night I walked into my bathroom to discover that it was pretty well infested with ants. They were in my sink and my tub, on the floor, on the walls, on the ceiling. There was a nice line of them (the ants go marching one by one!) that led to this really hard-to-reach corner in my bathroom, which has always looked terrible with peeling paint and the wood trim around the edges coming loose.

I was about to leave for work, so I couldn't really take the time then to do much except spray down the corner where they seemed to be most congregated with window cleaner (which kills them quite quickly), and hope that they didn't recover and make it into the little hallway before I got home again.

Eventually - after squishing and spraying probably around a 100 little ants - I think I've beaten them again. Tonight will tell; they're always busier after dark.

But while I was battling the remnants of them this morning, something occurred to me. These ants, these little bugs that get on everything have never hurt me. I don't know if they could hurt me. Some ants can - fire ants and army ants and such. But these ones? They're just super annoying and gross.

And then I was thinking about how we might compare the difference between us and ants to the difference between God and us, and how one day, the world will rise up in open, willful, conscious defiance against God. They won't just be ignoring Him; they'll be on the offensive.

There was this kind of humorous thought that came to me while I was thinking about that - the ants really bother me. They gross me out, and if I happen to get one on me, it immediately has my full attention as I try to get it off as quickly as possible. But people aren't even the harmless ants. Their "offensive" isn't even going to have the power to ANNOY God. They can't get into His proverbial bathroom without Him allowing it. They can't MOVE without Him giving them strength and health. They can't LIVE without HIM. And they're going to go on the offensive??

Reminds me of that quote from Batman: the Dark Knight - "You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands; and your plan, is to BLACKMAIL this person?"

Really?? That's your plan?? You can't LIVE without God and yet somehow you find it a good idea to try to remove Him from the equation? Even from a purely selfish standpoint, that is the dumbest thing ever. Either way, it leaves you DEAD!

Sometimes it's just so funny how pitiful we are. It's like when I was super little and I would wrestle with my dad. My parents would laugh and smile and it was funny! Because I couldn't MOVE him at ALL. I remember exactly what it felt like - it was like running into a slightly cushioned boulder, like pushing on a mountain.

So that was my funny thought today. It can also be sad and sobering and a lot of other things; but today it hit me as funny.

No comments: