Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I Just Want A Phone

I'm a weird person when it comes to technology. I like special effects on movies, but I can't stand a lot of computer generated stuff - like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I like crazy camera stuff like the circle around Trinity when she's about to kick that guy in the face and the jumping/glitching thing that they do on Burn Notice, and noticing the different amounts of color they allow (Payback is almost entirely on a gray scale). I like HDTV, but I can't stand enormous screens. I don't want to feel like I'm in a theatre; I want to be in my pajamas in my house with a bowl of ice cream.

I like quality sound, not surround sound. I don't like feeling like I'm in the middle of the movie - I like WATCHING the movie. I don't want it to feel more realistic - that's why I'm watching a MOVIE. I don't want to be there; I just want to relax and enjoy seeing/hearing it.

This goes for phones, too. Bigger is not better. I like pushing buttons. (As do the vast majority of small children, I might add. There's just something fun about pushing buttons. It's why I learned to type.) Touch screens are disgusting and seem to be impossible to keep clean - like the sliding glass door in a house full of toddlers. Also, you have to lock your phone to keep from pocket calling people. I don't like to have to unlock my phone, and I don't like to have to push a button before I can say, "Hello?" I like the old way. You pick up the phone and the other person is there.

I like the old stuff. Flip phones; SNES video game graphics; old, normal-size TVs. And I am spectacularly happy that my husband is good with going with what I like for most shared stuff. He can have his 22-inch computer monitor and I'll keep my 15-inch laptop. Once we have a house, we'll probably plug the subwoofer back in as a compromise - I can deal with some WOOF if I don't have to hear it from every corner of the house.

I like simplicity. I like less cords and less mess. I like a phone that doesn't need to have security measures on it to prevent me from accidentally calling people. I like when things that are obviously NOT going to look realistic (like video game graphics) don't bother trying so hard. In the end, I don't want an iphone or a droid and I definitely don't want a touch screen. And it's kind of annoying when it's so hard to find something simple because everyone else is so enamored with having MORE.

No comments: