Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lesser of Two Evils

This is a hard topic. And let me say right off the bat that, while I will probably make some very dogmatic statements, I don't mean at all that I cannot be wrong on this or that I'm accusing anyone of sinning or something. This is just the conclusion that I have come to.

There seems to be one reason for voting for a candidate that you know is bad - he's not as bad as the other guy. It's not that he's good, that he has some redeeming quality. It's that he's just not as bad as the other one. I voted for McCain because of this reasoning. I regret that vote.

And thinking about that, if I had the choice of Ahab or Jeroboam, how could I vote for either one? Why do we see a difference in our situation? We have Obama - a liar, a proponent of baby-murder, and someone who's destroying our nation from the inside. Then we have Romney - at the very least a liar and someone who doesn't seem to have any solid stance whatsoever on things like abortion, gay marriage, etc. etc. For evidence of that, click Here. He's for a woman's right to choose AND working to overturn Roe vs. Wade??? Can you possibly trust that guy?

When using the phrase "lesser of two evils" most people probably don't think that the choices are actually evil. However, I think they are. Mormon or Islamic, neither of them believes in the God of the Bible and neither of them are going to follow Him. Both of them have stated that they are pro-choice (whether they "changed their mind" later or not). How can we vote for evil?

I don't know what Ron Paul's religious views are. I do know that he is very steadfastly pro-life. I absolutely do NOT know that about Romney.

I've also heard the argument that "if we split the vote, the other side will win for sure." This one makes me even more riled. Because I hear it from Christians. Guess what? I'm not worried one itty, bitty, tiny speck about what the other side wants. That does not and should not come into the equation. Are we voting to win? Or are we voting to do what's right?

I'm voting because I believe that I should. God has put me in a country where it is my privilege to express an opinion on who I believe is most in line with His morals. That's why I vote. And WHO I vote for should be based on the same thing. Is this who GOD wants me to vote for? Not, "Is this who the party wants me to vote for?" Or, "is this who the other side doesn't want me to vote for?" Not, "Does he/she have a chance of winning?" Is this who GOD wants me to vote for?

When I stand before Jesus and recall all my deeds in life, am I going to look back and say I voted for someone because I thought he had the best chance of winning? Is my reason going to be so that the other side wouldn't win? Am I voting for someone because I'm afraid of what Obama might do in another four years? Is fear of man my motivator? Will I stand before God and say, "But the other guy was worse"? Is that going to be my excuse for not thinking FIRST about what God wants?

Politics get so separated from Christianity. We're supposed to be Christians FIRST. So when we talk about candidates and what their qualifications are, maybe we should start talking about how they line up Biblically before anything else comes up.

No comments: