Saturday, August 22, 2009

KJV - Only?

I'm in the midst of a very important decision. And I have a feeling that it's going to take quite a while to get through it. I know where I would like to end up, but I don't know that that is what's best.

Since meeting Zack I've been spiritually challenged about things that had never before been an issue for me. (Some a lot more important than others.) Rock music. Church attire. Bible interpretation. And obviously, the question of "Which version??" It's been good; difficult and trying; stretching and testing; emotionally draining; and I felt so mentally exercised I couldn't think any more. It's been a long time since I've felt like that. It was good like sore muscles are good. He's made good points; I've made good points (a few). We've made each other think. It's good but it's hard.

There's a reoccurring problem that I see within the Van Kleeck family when we argue. It's always This or That. It's as if we can't ever see another option. And so often, there is, in fact, another option. For example, the lying argument. So many times I heard "So you're not going to lie? You're just going to turn them in? You're going to say, 'Here they are'?" No. . . . Just because I'm not going to lie doesn't mean that I have to say where they are. How does one equate to the other??

I'm beginning to wonder if that doesn't apply to the version issue. Now, don't worry. I'm not making any leaps and bounds here. I'm trying to be slow and thoughtful and careful, and it was just something that popped into my head while thinking. I haven't studied anything nearly enough to make any decisions (thus, why I said it's going to take a while). It was just something that occurred to me and I'm wondering.

I'm thinking about blogging about the music argument at some point. I don't like feeling like people think I've been duped when in fact, I came to a conclussion after a discussion that spanned a couple months. I didn't meet a guy and morph to his whims. I couldn't do that - not about right and wrong. I would hope that my own family knows me better than that. . . . But maybe they don't. And if they don't, it's probably my own fault. :/

How much do you trust someone else's judgment? When a good friend introduces you to one of their friends, how cautious are you? If the new person told you something that seemed rather unlikely, do you trust them for the sake of your friend? Or do you take it as if you had met the person without your friend's recommendation? Do you assess their character just like you would any new person? Or do you take into account that your friend has some level of trust for them?

I wonder about strange things. lol

3 comments:

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

Jenn, I don't ever want to push anything on you, but I do want to ensure you have access to all the help you can get.

And yes, while much IS narrowed down to two options in our family, I'm not sure if I was in that group in your blog. Some things actually are only two options.

Referring to my last blog, I thought about that point I made regarding two options as I was writing it. I am pretty sure I can back it up though.

Let me know if I can help. You can always bounce ideas off me.

Varda said...

You haven't pushed anything on me. And I wasn't really thinking of you specifically. Or anyone, really. It was just a general "seems like we think this way too much" sorta thing. Self included. It's easier to think that things are A or B. But anyway.

Thanks. :) I'm pretty sure that I'll be coming to you a bit - especially about the version thing. =)