Friday, February 20, 2009

What is today?

Oh yeah. It's Friday. February 20th, and it is 45 minutes after noon, if you want to know.
Not sure why you would, but whatever.

I've been thinking lately. I've reached the point in my life where I want a house to decorate, and yes, clean. I want the responsibility of a family. But I was thinking about all the stuff I wanted, all the things that would be nice to have, that would make living easier. And I realized something. Living easier is not living happier. Easy doesn't mean more fun. It doesn't mean better.

Then, while I was thinking about what does make life happy, what does make it better, (living for God) is actually better accomplished the less you have. The less you have, the more you realize your dependence on Him. And if God gives you lots, why keep it? Isn't it better to give it to missionaries? To the church? To someone in your church who's having trouble? Part of me still wants a big house with beautiful things and lots of land around with horses and dogs and bunnies. Part of me wants an easy life.

More and more of me is wanting a better life. The more I think about it, treasure here or treasure in Heaven, how could I not want less and less here? Life is short. Maybe shorter than we think. In one hundred years, we'll all be dead, except maybe a couple of the babies. It's worth the wait. It's worth the "hardships." More importantly, it's what God wants from us. We're so caught up with the cares of this world and we don't even know it. What's the good of stuff? When you have enough, why spend money on nicer stuff, when you can spend it on something that'll last forever?

No comments: