Monday, January 30, 2012

180 Movie

There's a video that's going around called the "180 Movie." It's pro-life, made by a Jewish man who likens the Holocaust to the abortion epidemic that is happening today. For the record, I recommend watching this movie. If you're not pro-life, it makes a very good argument; if you are pro-life, you'll probably find it encouraging by the end. (The beginning is kind of sad because of how uneducated people are.)

I "like"d the Movie's page on Facebook and now I get a lot of things from it. Some I enjoy; sometimes it's just kind of annoying. It's taking a good thing and shoving it in your face so much that it gets wearisome. Like a good song that you really love until you hear it all day every day for a week. And then you can't stand it. But that's a rabbit trail.

These posts that I see are often statements about how people value Stuff above People. I completely agree with this take on the world; stuff is extremely important to people and other people are often seen as only a way to increase one's Stuff. In today's post, it compared a rolex watch to a baby. How many people would stop someone from smashing an expensive watch, but have no qualms if they hear someone is going to have an abortion?

The meaning is well-taken, but my brain didn't want to leave it at just that. How many people would rather have the watch than see it smashed? Or in the parallel, how many people would want the baby rather than know it's going to be killed? What if the baby were being aborted for medical reasons (a deformity, a mental illness, a disease, etc. etc.)?

Being pro-life shouldn't just be anit-pro-choice. It should mean, if I have the opportunity to save a life (without sinning), I take it. I should WANT to take it, not just feel that it's my duty as a Christian. Honestly, I don't feel that way right now. There's a difference in my head between accepting MY children no matter what issues they have and accepting someone ELSE'S child no matter what issues they have. I don't really have a choice when it's my kid. I don't HAVE to adopt a drug baby. If we chose to adopt, we could choose a nice, healthy baby. A baby that we think is cute or one that has the same coloring as us or whatever parameters we want.

But I shouldn't feel that way. If I can SAVE a life, it shouldn't matter what the condition of the body of that life is in. It should not matter if it's an old person who won't remember that I saved them, or a baby with such extreme mental health problems that they'll never have the capacity to form a real sentence.

Obviously, this is pretty much hypothetical right now. Maybe one day, if we ever have enough money to adopt, it won't be. But I think it's good to have such things stirring around in my head. One day it may all be very much real, and being who I am, it'll go better if I have an idea of what I believe and why BEFORE any of it happens.

In closing, let me quickly add that I stated some things very dogmatically. I believe them which is why I said them strongly, but I am very open to discussion and/or debate. I think today is the first time I've ever thought about this - at least in this way.

Happy Monday. :)

No comments: