Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Sacrifice of Jesus

I've been thinking a lot recently of about Jesus' death on the cross and the sacrifice that was made there. I've always felt that I could understand His motives, His ability to do that, not exhaustively, but I've always felt that I can relate. Because I would give my life for those that I love. At least, I believe that I could and would if that situation were to arise. 

But the part of it that goes beyond my comprehension is the role of the Father. He sent His Son to die, to become a man and live on earth for 33 years. To deny Jesus' request that there might be another way out because there was no other way. Can you imagine? I can. 

I remember my cousin once got a fish hook stuck in her toe. All the way through her toe. And her dad kept saying they were going to have to cut it out and she kept pleading with him for there to be another way. He wanted to console her, to help her, but He had to get it fixed. 

God killed His Son. In those three hours of Jesus' need, the Father cut Him off. And that, I cannot understand. A part of me feels that it is almost wrong - because we are not worth that. But it's not just about us. Jesus obeyed His Father to show the wonder and power of the Father's love. And the Father sent Jesus to show the amazing humility and indescribable patience of the Son. 

The sacrifice of the cross was not only Jesus'. It was the entire Godhead, sacrificing to show the attributes of the others and to buy us back into their family. 

No comments: